Google+ A Tangled Rope: The Mystery of the Fridge

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Mystery of the Fridge

Haier whitegoods. HBF130

There was a fridge.

There was a spoon.

Fairly obviously a fridge will not – in the normal course of events – fit inside a spoon.

A spoon will, of course, fit easily into a fridge. However, that is not where we usually put them.

So, as I stood there, in front of the closed door of the fridge, I had to ask myself why I had just opened the fridge, put a spoon inside it and then shut its door again.

I had no answer to that question.

I opened the fridge door again and there was the spoon sitting – quite comfortably – on the shelf in front of me.

Why?

I thought. I must have come into the kitchen and picked up a spoon, intending to eat something from the fridge using that spoon.

I opened the door again. The fridge was empty, apart from the spoon. There was nothing in there at all.

I shut the fridge door again and looked at my watch.

The watch, amongst other things, told me it was Sunday. We usually did our shopping on Saturday, so the fridge should be full of stuff, lovely things all waiting there to be eaten.

So, I’d come into the kitchen, got a spoon and opened the fridge, expecting to eat something from it, probably involving the spoon. But the fridge was empty, so I’d put the spoon down in shock and shut the fridge, my mind blank and unable to process this startling information in a satisfactory manner.

I smiled. I had solved the problem.

No, I hadn’t.

Why was the fridge empty? Empty on a Sunday?

I looked around the kitchen, looking for an answer.

It was only then I realised that the kitchen wasn’t there, either.

No comments: