Google+ A Tangled Rope: Monday Poem: Slightly Further

Monday, July 09, 2012

Monday Poem: Slightly Further

clip_image002

Slightly Further

If I walk away, down to the shore
I will see the sea and see the sky
and that horizon where they meet
seeming almost close enough to touch.

But so many things seem to be there
close enough for easy reaching hands.
I could lift my hand up to the sky, pluck
out the moon from the face of the night.

I could take each of the stars in turn
and thread them on your necklace.
I could see down to the smallest speck
and the immense spaces that make solidity.

I could see it all. I could do it all.
I could do everything and anything
I could do it all, if I found that place
to stand to reach only slightly further.

But it all lies always just out of reach
like the perfect kiss and that moment
long gone when it seemed all right,
all perfect, lying here next to you.

No comments: