Google+ A Tangled Rope: She who would Serve

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

She who would Serve

clip_image002

The room seemed to flicker in the light from the stuttering candle-flames. The shadows were deep and dark all around me as I settled in my chair to wait. I knew I would not have to wait long. I took a sip from the glass, feeling the wine warm me as I waited.

The candle-flames flickered again in the draught as the door opened. I heard the door close; somewhere off in the shadows, with a soft thud.

The only sound I could hear were her bare feet whispering along the wooden floorboards as she came towards my chair. I sat back, my one elbow resting on the armrest and my chin in my hand.

She stopped in front of my chair; the simple white gown she wore almost reached the floor. I could see the leather of the collar under her chin, the candle-flames reflected in the small padlock that held it locked around her neck.

I realised that I had yet to give her a name. The name that she used before was gone now. In this room she had only the name I chose to give her, when I decided what that name would be.

She was looking down at the floor, a place just in front of my feet.

I waited…

She pulled the dress off up over her head and folded it neatly, placing it on the floor to her one side as she knelt in front of me to wait for whatever I decided to do; to wait for her new name and for her new life to begin.

No comments: