Google+ A Tangled Rope: The Shape of a Door

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

The Shape of a Door

clip_image002

'Hurry!' she drew the shape of a door in the air and stepped through, pulling me behind her.

I looked back. The alley had gone.

She took a deep breath and shook her head. 'I shouldn't have done that.'

I stared back. The alley had gone. 'Where...? What...?' I winced and lifted my hand to look at my shoulder; the blood was seeping through my fingers. The knife had sliced, slashed at me rather that stabbed, but it still hurt.

She moved towards me, indicating that I should let her see. She was silent for a moment, examining the wound like one who was use to such things. She was wearing a uniform under her coat. As she stood closer in the calm of wherever this place was, I could see the uniform was a nurse's uniform, even down to the watch above her breast pocket. 'You'll live.' She stepped back, looking up at my face.

'Where are we?' I looked around. It still looked a bit like my home town, but there was something different about it, something that looked far older, stranger.

'Kingsford,' she said.

'I've lived here all my life, but I don't recognise this part of the town,' I said.

'You won't.' She sighed. 'Anyway, let's get you sorted out and see about taking you back.' She turned, leading me down a street.

I followed, holding my shoulder. Then I realised what was different, the street lights had gone.

'This isn't Kingsford,' I said.

She turned. 'Oh, yes it is... Just not the Kingsford you know.'

No comments: