Google+ A Tangled Rope: And There You Were... Gone

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

And There You Were... Gone

image

There is not much time and not much left to say. We had the days, we had the time, but it was all over too soon. The time left us, the reasons why we were there together left us... and then, finally, you left me.

I woke one morning to find you gone. I had half-expected it. For the weeks leading up to that time you had never really been there anyway. It was almost as if we were there together rehearsing your leaving. You withdrew bit-by-bit from our life until all that remained was to physically take yourself away, and there you were... gone.

It took some time to get use to you not being there. I had lived so close to you, so entwined with you, for so long it felt as though I had lost some part of myself. I suppose I had, without you I felt incomplete, unformed. You had given my life its shape and its purpose and your leaving left me lost and unformed.

The days lost their focus without you, just became a jumble of moments heaping up on each other. There was no structure, no purpose and no point. Life became dreamlike, tumbling from one moment to the next without purpose or reason. Day after day fell down like this, until that day when I suddenly woke up.

That was the day when I found the space around me was not an absence of you, but a place of possibility, somewhere where my life could grow and fill again. All I needed was to start living again.

2 comments:

Indie said...

Wow, that's beautiful, and beautifully written.

David Hadley said...

Indie: thanks, glad you liked it.