Google+ A Tangled Rope: Fifteen Years

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fifteen Years

image

Henry turned towards Eric, glancing at the security monitors, which – as usual – showed no activity in the deserted building. ‘So?’

Eric pushed his cap further back on his head and scratched an eyebrow. ‘So….’

‘Right.’ Henry began unbuttoning his uniform jacket as he leant back in his chair.

‘I can't think of anything to say,’ Eric said, taking his cap off and giving the Security Guard badge on it a quick polish on his uniform sleeve.

Henry shrugged. ‘Neither can I.’

‘Sometimes, y'know….’

Henry turned back towards Eric. ‘What?’

‘Well, I mean. How long have we been together, here, now, H?’

‘Oh, years. Ever since I joined. That's… bloody hell! Fifteen years.’

‘Fifteen years?’

‘Yeah, fifteen.’ Henry shook his head.

Eric sighed. ‘A long time, H.’

‘A very long time,’ Henry said after a pause. ‘The longest I've ever done anything. I've known you longer than I've known my wife.’

‘So… I suppose it is not that surprising then.’

‘What?’

‘Running out of things to say.’ Eric twiddled the joystick that controlled one of the cameras. As usual, it showed just one long empty corridor. ‘I suppose we know all we need to know about each other.’

‘Perhaps.’

‘No perhaps about it, H mate.’

‘Maybe….’

‘All right then….’ Eric sat back in his seat and turned towards the other man. ‘Yesterday was Thursday. So you had steak and chips, and then a couple of pints while you watched that police thing on the telly. You took the dog for a quick stroll when it finished and then you went to bed. Yes?’

Henry sighed. ‘Yes. Exactly.’

The two men looked at each other for a moment, then turned back to watching the monitors in silence.

No comments: