Google+ A Tangled Rope: Opinions Are Like…

Monday, February 25, 2008

Opinions Are Like…

A Guardian CiF Piece on opinion by Jon Blyth provoked my comment below:

My Comment:

I had an opinion once, it was purple and furry and I called it Simon. We were happy together for a while, but Simon began to suspect that he was just a minority opinion, which he found depressing. One day it all got to much for him and he ran away to join an opinion survey.

When he got there - he found to his surprise and relief - that he wasn't a minority opinion after all. I see him every now and then firmly among the other 76% of opinions that are like Simon, and I am happy he has found a place he can call home.

I have thought about having other opinions, but deep down I know they will all remind me too much of Simon and our brief period of happiness together, so now I prefer to just read the tabloids and have brief, but often sordid and unsatisfying, relationships wit unthinking knee-jerk prejudices, usually about some current moral panic. At least that way it isn't me who ends up feeling used and abandoned when it is all over.

No comments: