Google+ A Tangled Rope: Hail Fellow!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Hail Fellow!

Back when I was a smoker, I used to jump on - with delight and relief - any piece of news that suggested that smoking wasn’t so bad after all; such as the notion it may delay diseases like Alzheimer’s and so on. At the same time, I was also attempting to convince myself that all the negative evidence about the many dangers of smoking was being overstated for some reason.

I was reminded about this when reading about the ‘fellow travellers’ who made excuses and gave feeble explanations when communism failed to live up to its ideals as the worker’s paradise. It seems that people do have a propensity to want to continue believe, despite the contrary evidence that confronts them. This, I suppose, also explains why people turn to religion in the teeth of natural disasters and other misfortunes. At such times, logic would suggest that such things and events disprove the very religious force that these people are looking to for protection and so forth.

All of which, I think goes towards making some sense of the subject of this pretty good article by


No comments: