Google+ A Tangled Rope: Monday Poem: Chaos Theory

Monday, February 02, 2009

Monday Poem: Chaos Theory

[Every Monday (until I run out of them), I’m posting a poem of mine that has fallen out from the submission process for some reason. In most cases, it will be one where I’ve received no response to my submission for at well over a year or more. Maybe the magazine I submitted them to has folded, the submission was lost in the post, or whatever. So, these poems can be seen as lost, orphans, of uncertain status, or something like that.]

These poems are also posted to ABCTales.

Chaos Theory

Words.
These are words.
Words,
I do not need silence.
Silence speaks like a sullen child.
A child standing at the edge
of a deep river.
Rivers are like lives,
we flood and drown the plains
of everyone's desires.

    I have.

    I hold.

I take one step forward.
One step forward,
two steps back,
and turn around,
and turn around twice
to find a new life.
A new life, like the old one.

The old one who sits, smoking,
smoking a pipe like a story.
Story smoke curling off
over his shoulder.
Curling off like smoke into fiction.

Fiction reveals a deeper truth.
A truth like those lies you told me
and I found too easy to believe.
Believe, and God is long dead.

Dead autumn leaves,
leaves so crisp underfoot.
We walked down these roads
only a summer ago,
searching, and rescuing these thoughts
that flicker
like sudden butterfly wings.
Flickering golden bright.

Like last summer's sunlight
flickering through green leaves.

Flickering in the slow breeze,
breeze flickering grass,
grass shifting with your every breath
when you lay
on green summer lawns

only a season ago, waiting,
waiting for something
to turn these moments
into memories.

1 comment:

David Hadley said...

Thank. It has become one I'm rather partial to, too. Maybe because it has been on the verge of being published a few times, but never quite made it, like a bridesmaid that never quite caught the bouquet.