Google+ A Tangled Rope: Monday Poem: How to Fall

Monday, September 08, 2008

Monday Poem: How to Fall

[Every Monday (until I run out of them), I’m posting a poem of mine that has fallen out from the submission process for some reason. In most cases, it will be one where I’ve received no response to my submission for at well over a year or more. Maybe the magazine I submitted them to has folded, the submission was lost in the post, or whatever. So, these poems can be seen as lost, orphans, of uncertain status, or something like that.]

These poems are also posted to ABCTales.

How to Fall

I now understand how to fall
so that I can land gracefully.

I have perfected the small art
of how to lose with dignity,
and walk away with ease
without needing to look back,
not even once.

I had hoped that these talents,
however small and uneconomic,
would be enough to see me through
right to the end of this wasted life.

1 comment:

David Hadley said...

jmb: I seem to remember this one was inspired by the theme of Leonard Cohen's 'Beautiful Losers' novel: that we are all losers in life, none of us are ever really winners because life always gets us in the end, the really art in life is therefore to lose gracefully, well or even beautifully.
Of course there is some irony in the fact that the narrator of the poem is boasting about how good he is at being hopeless.

'blogger of the week' - me, really? I am honoured. Thank you. I don't know what to say.... But that has never stopped me before, otherwise I wouldn't be a blogger in the first place, would I?