Google+ A Tangled Rope: Only Survival

Monday, November 18, 2013

Only Survival

clip_image002

There comes a time when there is no alternative. I had not asked for the role given me. I had not wanted to be anything in this world. But I was... I was the one whose word was the only law and I knew what I must do.

My word was the law, but it was more that the law was my word. I was just as constrained by circumstance and precedent as anyone else. I had no choice.

He knew I had no choice too.

It was – simply – a mater of him or me.

It was my family or his.

It was survival or death.

I had the upper hand. I had the weight of authority behind me.

I could see it in his eyes before he looked down at the ground just in front of my feet. He submitted now, but that was no guarantee. If circumstances changed - even if only slightly – to favour his family, then it would be me on my knees in front of him.

I could be merciful, of course. But there is a fine line between being merciful and being weak. There are many who see mercy as weakness and many who would exploit that weakness for their own ends.

My position, my survival and the survival of all I cared about - all I allowed myself the luxury of caring about - depended on me turning my back on such concepts as mercy, forgiveness, live and let live.

I had no choice.

I drew my sword as his neck was laid bare before me.

No comments: