Google+ A Tangled Rope: Mouse in the Moonlight

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Mouse in the Moonlight

clip_image002

Still, it was never that simple. The rest of us waited around the corner, keeping low, keeping quiet. There was a sighing undulation if the shadow and then Mouse was there next to me.

'It is done,' Mouse said.

I saw the wet blade in Mouse's hand, glistening in the moonlight before the blade disappeared.

'Good,' I whispered.

We came out of the alley, where we'd stood waiting for Mouse to finish, keeping low and moving through the shadows beneath the buildings. I stepped over the bodies of the guards, lying unmoving where Mouse had left them. The ground was wet around the bodies, now mere mounds at the sides of the street, more rubbish left for someone to clear up. It was possible they could lie there unnoticed and unremarked until well into the following day.

I had been a guard once, patrolling the streets for my Lord. I could have ended like that, I realised as I looked down at the inert masses that had been living men until Mouse came along and took that life from them. I was suddenly glad I had not met Mouse back in that old life.

The doorway was there, suddenly in front of us. Now it was the Spider's turn, he eased himself through the crowd of us, all pressing as close as we could against the wall in the lurking shadow. Spider pulled out his tools, spreading them out on the leather bag that held them, each in its own pocket to prevent rattles and tinkles giving us away.

'I need some light,' Spider hissed.

I pushed through the group until I was standing above Spider's head. I whispered the words and held up my hands cupped one above the other as if I was holding some delicate ball, made of glass or something easily breakable. The pale blue glow seeped though the gaps between my hands and from between my fingers. I moved my hands down until the blue glow illuminated the lock for Spider.

Behind me, I could her Mouse breathing fast, impatient to get out of sight and off the street.

The lock clunked and Spider stood, gathering his tools. I said the words and dismissed the light spell, feeling the tingle in my fingers and hands as the magic trickled back to its own realm.

Behind me, Mouse kissed my ear, I grinned back at her as Spider pushed the door open with one hand, the other resting on the hilt of his sword. Mouse had her blade ready. I drew mine and then – in single file – with Mouse in the lead, we began to creep up the stairs inside the tower.

No comments: