Google+ A Tangled Rope: The Ikea Catalogue and its Discontents

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Ikea Catalogue and its Discontents

clip_image002

Anyway, there she was: standing there, naked and ready….

Oh, hang on, now that I come to think about it, maybe it was over there, next to the table… or was it there, next to the okapi – as you probably know it is so easy to get the table and okapi confused, what with the hectic daily lives we all lead nowadays.

Anyway, I remember because she was holding the new Ikea catalogue in what she hoped was a provocative manner….

As an aside: she did discover some time ago, that the only way to get my attention – especially when I’m busy contemplating the eternal verities with my eyes shut (and definitely NOT snoring – whatever she claims) is to cough discretely while standing there naked. Admittedly, it does tend to raise a few questions in Tesco – but then as I often say to her: ‘you can’t have everything’, especially not when naked as you do not have anywhere near enough pockets.

Anyway, as I was saying about the nudity….

Actually, I perhaps ought to mention about the Ikea catalogue. Normally, I won’t go near the place as it outrages and frustrates the male approach to shopping, based around the commando raid: get in, do what you have to do and get out as quickly as possible with the minimum amount of casualties – especially to the wallet.

Hence the nudity….

Because she knows after however many years of happy (sic) marriage it has been, that the only way I find that shop and its catalogue interesting is through the use of nudity. Maybe it is something their marketing department should look into; after all, Scandinavians are rather partial to getting their kit off, if those magazines we saw back in the school playground all those years ago were to be believed.

No comments: