Google+ A Tangled Rope: When I Fell in Love

Thursday, January 19, 2012

When I Fell in Love

clip_image002

It is strange how when you fall in love with someone, it is hard to get her out of your mind. From the first time I met her, on that long lonely morning beach, I fell in love with her.

I hadn’t ever thought about if I believed in love at first sight that much before. I am not the sort of person who pays much attention to things like that. I do not analyse myself, put myself in boxes or sort myself ready for categorization. I squirm out from under any pin that tries to pin me down.

However, I was surprised how quickly I fell in love with her.

I have always liked solitary places, not ever wanting to be one of the crowd. That beach, early in the mornings was ideal for me, stretching off in a long slow curving bay to the cliffs that edged it on either side. I would come in on the north entrance, just under the cliffs where the hotel still slept and walk down, along the edge of where the sand was still sea-damp, but dry and firm enough to walk on. Then I’d stroll along the sea edge until I met the tumbled rocks that littered the foot of the south cliff. There I would sit awhile, hypnotised by the waves and the gyring gulls until I felt resuscitated by it all and then I would head back north to the opposite cliff and the hotel, ready for breakfast.

Then, one morning she was there in front of me, on my deserted beach, dress blowing in the breeze, shoes held in one hand as she paddled the edge of the sea.

As soon as she appeared there, I knew that she must be the one for me.

(

No comments: