Google+ A Tangled Rope: The Underpants of Anticipation

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Underpants of Anticipation

clip_image002

Elephants!

I'm sure I saw one hiding behind the fridge. Once you get an infestation, they are just so difficult to get rid of, especially if they get into your cupboards. They will eat anything, and everything, especially - of course - raspberry jam.

I don't expect any of this, but I do expect some form of chips when my desire for fish grows on apace. There are rumours of mushy peas out there too. Nurture and protect your pickled onions ere that day arrives.

I cannot expect to go down towards a new take-away without wearing the underpants of anticipation. I recall, only too well, how those anchovies were arranged on your carpet to point towards Huddersfield.

I have seen you naked, except for that hand-knitted Arran cardigan, standing up on the cliffs and staring out across the sea to the far foreign shore, where, I know for certain, you had dreams of Swedish vacuum cleaner repairmen.

I should have taken you away from all this then, and put your wiper blades on my old Ford Anglia. We could have driven off into the sunset, both of us naked except for our cardigans.

No comments: