Google+ A Tangled Rope: The Trousers of Earnest Pontification

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Trousers of Earnest Pontification

clip_image002

Still, we do not always have to speak of these things. We may laugh at those who willingly don the trousers of over-earnest pontification, or snigger at those who yearn for the crazed stare of the zealot freed forever from the torment of existential doubt and the fear that their taste in politics, woollen jumpers or pop music is no longer at the cutting edge of where it is at.

Instead, we should do other stuff, what that stuff is, of course, is not for me to say, because that would force me to don those very same trousers of earnest pontification, and I do not want to do that. After all, a blog is not the sort of place for that sort of thing, now, is it?

It is not my place, or my purpose, not even my plaice or my porpoise, to offer you designs for living, or offer blueprints and stratagems to assist you though your life, or offer nostrums on what to think, believe, do or say. That Socrates bloke said all you need to do a while back now, when he reckoned that 'an unexamined life is not worth living', and I've not seen else that improves on it, except to add 'and mind how you go.'

No comments: