Google+ A Tangled Rope: Thursday Poem: Endless Night

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thursday Poem: Endless Night

clip_image002

Endless Night

(Ballade Royal)

She moves like sunlight through my every day
And turns my mornings languid and so slow
The afternoons that never go away
With evenings that will grow and overflow
Into the dark of night before we know
The day has gone, and I’ve so often said
I want an endless night, warm in her bed

I need to be with her in every way
From dawn and back to dawn the hours will grow
And turn as day becomes the night, ‘replay
These times again’ we whisper, ‘then bestow
Another day on us, the same, although
In darkness all our appetite is fed.’
I want an endless night, warm in her bed

Yet we are now exhausted from the fray
Our battle’s not fought, and we are not foe.
We lie here waiting for the sun’s first ray
No move made even though the room’s aglow
With day’s bright morning light, we will forego
The day to keep the night right here instead.
I want an endless night, warm in her bed

But when the mornings turn so cold and grey
And winter brings the coldest winds that blow
Across our days and bring the snow, we stay
Beneath these sheets, becomes our spring meadow
As days go dull as darker nights outgrow.
So when it seems those longer days have fled
I want an endless night, warm in her bed.

No comments: