Google+ A Tangled Rope: Gove In More List Errors

Friday, July 09, 2010

Gove In More List Errors

clip_image002

Following the debacle over his school closures list errors, last night the embattled Education Secretary, Michael Gove, was in more trouble over a list error when he arrived home late, carrying just a lettuce and a tin of anchovies.

In response to the incident, Mr Gove’s wife issued a statement saying:

Yesterday I rang Michael at work and asked him to pick up a few things from the supermarket on the way home. Namely: a bottle of milk, some fish fingers for the kids, a nice bottle of red and some of that lovely cheese I like that I can never remember the name of. He promised me that he’d written it all down and would definitely call in to the shop on the way home.

After apologising profusely to his wife for his error, and promising that systems would be put in place for checking any future shopping lists for mistakes, misunderstandings and omissions, Michael Gove issued the following, by way of mitigation.

I was on the way home from the Education Department with the shopping list in my hand, when I met the deputy Prime Minister wandering up and down the corridors of the department, checking through each desk in all the offices. Of course, I asked him what he was doing, and he replied that the Prime Minister himself had given Mr Clegg the vital sole responsibility for counting all the pencils currently being used in all government departments, to see if any significant savings could be made in stationery costs.

Actually, Nick looked a bit lonely and lost. I think he is realising that being in government isn’t all he thought it would be. So I stopped for a chat.

After he’d started telling me about number 29 and the tricks she could do with a unicycle, a sou’wester and a courgette, I suddenly realised the time and told him I had to go home.

I suppose I must have left the shopping list on the desk when Nick followed me down the corridor, asking if I wanted him to post any letter or anything, or if I had the odd bit of filing he could do.

Anyway, by the time I got to the supermarket, all I could think about was what Nick Clegg had said about number 13 and her hot twin sister. I suppose that is why I ended up with just the lettuce and the tin of anchovies.

However, despite the Education Secretary’s fulsome apology for his latest gaffe, sources close to Mrs Gove insisted that it will still be some time before Mr Gove will be allowed to bring out his Private Member’s Bill for consideration on the floor of her house.

No comments: