Google+ A Tangled Rope: Thursday Poem: What Lies Beyond

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday Poem: What Lies Beyond

clip_image002

What Lies Beyond

Distance grows like the space between times
when we learnt how to hold onto those moments
that can so easily slip by, and be lost forever.
Silence grows around us and fills those spaces
until they crack and burst out
into the world and we have to touch them.

There are no shapes we can hold and turn
to see how the sharp light is reflected back
creating patterns we could see and believe in, even though
there are no shapes we can hold and turn and see
there are no patterns, no forms
and no such meanings. We are all we have.

I will remember always the taste
of women, how they taste of lands always just
out of my reach, and how – no matter how close we lie – still
there is always that one place that lies beyond.
I have known so much, and yet
so little of it finally matters.

When we lie like this together, and
I can still taste all that distance on my lips
and tongue, then I can believe I’ve known something
something far more real than this world you’ve shown me.
The world has turned and moves all
around us and – yet – still here we remain.

No comments: