Google+ A Tangled Rope: The Lone Finger

Friday, February 12, 2010

The Lone Finger

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit

clip_image002

Now, on the other hand we have… the same number of fingers as on the first hand. What are the chances of that, eh?

However, I don't like the way that the third finger on my left hand is looking at me.

Frankly, I've always had my doubts about that finger. It has a habit of not wanting to join in. It likes to go off on its own for long solitary walks in the countryside, while the other fingers - even those on the same hand - prefer always to do things together.

To me, it seems that it a part - a major part - of wanting to be a finger is to want to do things together as a hand, or even both hands. It seems that to desire to be a lone finger is in some ways a denial of finger-ness itself.

For what would fingers become if we allowed them to all do their own thing without reference to the rest of the hand? Mere anarchy would be loosed upon the world, and not only would the centre not hold, we wouldn't be able to hold anything either.

No comments: