Google+ A Tangled Rope: Monday Poem: Fogbound

Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Poem: Fogbound

clip_image002

Fogbound

The years fall behind me
And  I grow too old to hope
For dreams that are not regrets.
I invent new memories
Of what life ought to have been.
I should have been someone else
I should've had a worthwhile life
That created real memories.
I lived a forgettable life.

I arrived here, at nowhere,
A passenger left stranded
On some bare nameless station,
Left staring helplessly out
To where the track curls, like smoke,
Rising on up out towards
The unreachable horizon.
I could have been a traveller,
I could have been… if only….

If only I'd had the courage
To say goodbye, walk away
Instead of just standing there
On a stark winter morning
As she walked away, slowly
Across the park, lost inside
A February morning fog
Like some invented memory
Of a heart-breaking moment.

No comments: