Google+ A Tangled Rope: Monday Poem: Dawn Chorus

Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Poem: Dawn Chorus

clip_image002

Dawn Chorus

I too could rise up hopeful, like the dawning sun.
I too could start here at the day's beginning hour.
I too could burn away the shadows, hiding mists,
and beaded tears of dew from all the blades of grass.

I too could set the whole bright chorus singing clear,
to fill your darker dreams with light that falls on down
through half-closed curtains, banishing the chill of night
that lies so heavy on your naked shoulders now.

I could do it, but only if I could believe
I have the power to disperse your darkest clouds,
and give you all the bluest skies you still deserve.

I could then feel myself begin to rise up strong
and ready for another dawn, another day
despite my knowing how the darkness chases me
and knowing that the darkness chases all of us.

I know one day it will catch me, make my own sun
forever dark; extinguished. Then I will have lost
my final chance to burn so bright and shine for you.

No comments: