Google+ A Tangled Rope: Monday Poem: Between Words

Monday, December 01, 2008

Monday Poem: Between Words

[Every Monday (until I run out of them), I’m posting a poem of mine that has fallen out from the submission process for some reason. In most cases, it will be one where I’ve received no response to my submission for at well over a year or more. Maybe the magazine I submitted them to has folded, the submission was lost in the post, or whatever. So, these poems can be seen as lost, orphans, of uncertain status, or something like that.]

These poems are also posted to ABCTales.

Between Words

Her hands took flight and moved to sculpt her words
to give shaped elegance to all she said.
She made each word a frozen moment, held
beyond another wave of moving air.

I heard the silence held between her words,
seeing her careful hands take each new word
and shape it beyond the limitations
of language, giving every word a life
to take across the space between our chairs.

And I? Still I could only sit transfixed
by all these sculptures, as she lined them up
on the still-breathing summer evening air,
before just waving them away like smoke.

She held up those same hands, once more to me
and reaching out to where I waited, still,
to take me deep inside herself. She held
me there, unmoving, as her now still hands
enclosed my face between her gifted palms,
and crossed her long slow legs across my back.
I knew, finally, I was captured then.

No comments: