Google+ A Tangled Rope: Monday Poem: Shared Dreams

Monday, July 07, 2008

Monday Poem: Shared Dreams

[Every Monday (until I run out of them), I’m posting a poem of mine that has fallen out from the submission process for some reason. In most cases, it will be one where I’ve received no response to my submission for at well over a year or more. Maybe the magazine I submitted them to has folded, the submission was lost in the post, or whatever. So, these poems can be seen as lost, orphans, of uncertain status, or something like that.]

These poems are also posted to ABCTales.



Shared Dreams



I move as you move and we will

move together, joined together

through the night, all night long.



We follow each other across this bed

as in our dreams we walk hand in hand,

across the sand and naked into the sea.



All through the night,

I share your dreams,

you share mine.



One day we will wake from these dreams

and try to remember who we were before,

where I end and you begin again.

We will feel the need for sharper edges,

a need for borders and a need for limits.



Then we will lie apart, on opposite sides

of this suddenly far too big bed.

Turned away from each other's sleeping

through lonely nights, dreaming different dreams.



I will walk lonely beaches

while you stand on cliff tops

searching wide horizons

for the sight of a sail.



And, in the darkness, maybe in the deep heart

of a cold night, we may turn together

and in the tangled hearts of our separate dreams

we will come together again for a while

before turning back to our separate nights.





No comments: