Google+ A Tangled Rope: The Edge Of Things

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Edge Of Things

I saw her over there. She was the person who stood alone at the edge of things: Alone, but not lonely. She looked as though she didn't need anyone. Everyone could see it and everybody knew.



Even the arrogant ones with the leather coats and shining hair knew she would spurn them. Even the confident ones knew they would not be able to reach her. She was beyond all of them, and they knew it.



They knew too that she would be the one to decide. That she would only bridge the gap between them and her. It was a chasm they would never have the courage to jump, but she, she could step across it at any time, at the moment of her own choosing.



I turned away, left the party behind me. I walked out into the garden. The music became a dull thudding in the background. The noise of the party flowed like the muted roar of a busy sea heard from a high cliff top.



I looked up at the stars. I did not turn when I heard someone approach from behind. She spoke, and then I turned.

No comments: