Google+ A Tangled Rope: Come, Let Us Ignore Him

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Come, Let Us Ignore Him

A quote from Stephen Law’s blog article The Meaning of Life:

Personally, I'd find it pretty dreadful to discover my purpose is endlessly to adore, worship and obey someone that designed me - be it an alien or God. Certainly, the discovery wouldn't make me feel that my life was now more meaningful. If anything, it'd make me feel it was now rather less meaningful.



This reminds me of the when I decided I didn’t believe in God – if I had believed before, which I’m not certain about. Anyway, I was six years old and we had just come back to school after the Christmas holiday. Sometime during one of those first few days they decided to teach us about Joseph, Mary and the baby Jesus fleeing Herod’s Slaughter of the Innocents (2:16).



My immediate thought was that if I had been a baby boy at the time, then I would have been slaughtered too. My next thought was that how could a God -which we are told love us all - allow something like that to happen? My third and last thought on that matter was that this meant that either this God did not exist, or that such a cruel and heartless God who would allow this slaughter of children was not worth worshipping.



So that’s when I stopped believing, and as the cruel and heartless god didn’t strike me down for being an unbeliever I could therefore only presume ‘He’ did not exist. I have come across nothing in the 40-odd intervening years that has even come close to convincing me I was mistaken. In fact, the more I live, learn, and explore this subject, the more I’m convinced that I was right then and am still right now.



No comments: