Google+ A Tangled Rope: Doubt

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Doubt

It is easy to think of these things if you do not mind letting go of your mind. Do not hold it so tightly with conceptions of what it is right to think or what is wrong to consider. Take your dearest and most treasured opinions, thoughts and conclusions and look at them carefully. Then say to yourself 'what if they are not true, or right, after all?' Like Descartes, start by doubting everything. What is so special about your opinions anyway? If you changed everything you ever thought and believed, you would still be you, wouldn't you? Or would you?

What is this 'you' anyway, or me - for that matter? Where are we? Where does the 'I' that is me cease to be me? How much of me would have to change - say by transplant - for me to cease being me and become you?

No comments: