Google+ A Tangled Rope: The Stars

Friday, February 08, 2008

The Stars

I remember it all so well, the dark clear nights and so, so many stars. There they were, all up there and waiting, waiting patiently for us. We were on our way, too. There were men actually walking on the moon as I stood there, looking up at it. So, I, we, thought, it would not take long, not very long at all. Soon mankind would reach the planets and then, then it would be on to the stars.

But, we, mankind, stopped, turned back, lost interest. When the planets, the stars, were there - waiting for us - we turned our backs on them. Instead, we turned on more lights at night, so that the stars could no longer compete. We no longer looked up, but looked across at our neighbours and the things they were buying. We no longer reached for the stars; we only reached for what was on display in the shops.

We gave up on dreaming, of looking for something higher, something greater. It al became unreal. We lost that belief, that optimism, that desire. It all became petty, shallow and meaningless.

I do not go out much at night now. I suppose the stars are still there, but I do not look up that often. The disappointment is hard to bear. I stay inside and watch television instead.


No comments: