Google+ A Tangled Rope: Hatful Of Hollow

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Hatful Of Hollow

What are your favourite songs by the Smiths?

Being in my mid-twenties when the Smiths came along I was beginning to think I was getting too old for rock music. But they did go some way towards restoring my faith in the business - for a while. Back then I would have happily spent most of the evening arguing with you about which tracks ought to be on this list.

But now, these days, I can't stand listening to them at all and the more the media go on about the various 'anniversaries' of punk and post punk, the less interesting it gets.

It's over and gone. You - and I - are too old and nostalgia is a terribly sad disease and wallowing in it just makes it far worse.

Anyway, one day you are just going to have to face it, John Travolta's white suit had far more influence than punk, 'new wave', 'indie' and all that put together.

No comments: