Google+ A Tangled Rope: Notes and Comments No. 9

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Notes and Comments No. 9


The press we deserve?

I was – briefly - a mature student (oxymoron?) at university in the mid-80s. To be honest I didn’t like it that much. I thing it was probably the biggest disappointment of my life. However, before I gave up on the academic world I noticed this growing intolerance. I do have an almost completed novel I wrote featuring some aspects of this – which I thought marked a deep insecurity and uncertainty in the minds of these young zealots.

This is the modern world? ‘When I express my horror, Nilab Mobarez looks at me rather pityingly and says: "This is only one case among so many. So many Afghan women suffer like this."’

Who is going to express their sorrow and regret for this?

Taking of the Dear Leader’s sorrow over slavery, here is an excellent (and long) article, taking apart the whole notion.



No comments: